By Sarah Kilvington
Posted in General
1. Ditch the Air Fresheners.
Whether it’s plug in, spray, candle warmers, oil burners, scented candles, or the ones that hang from your rear view mirror in your family car, they are nothing but a concentrated holding capsule for toxic chemicals. Petrochemicals, formaldehyde, phthalates, and many more super nasty things you should not willingly inhale are all “ingredients” in commercial air fresheners and have been proven to cause everything from asthma to leukemia.
There are many non toxic and even therapeutic alternatives such as;
- plug in oil diffusers for your home and your car, used with organic, therapeutic grade essential oils – like these ones at Ananda Apothecary
- do it yourself homemade room spray – DIY Natural has a great one here!
- petroleum free candles infused with organic essential oils – like these pure beeswax candles from Kaslo, BC
Read more on what other chemicals have been found in popular toxic air fresheners here at healthwyze.org
2. Limit or Eliminate Processed Flour, Sugar and Polyunsaturated Vegetable Oil.
By limiting your intake of these vitamin and mineral void foods, you will still be giving your body a much needed break from having to compensate with its own stores of vitamins and minerals just to digest this stuff, as well as give yourself a chance to reach for something whole, whether it’s fruits, veggies or whole grains.
Spiking your blood sugar with sugar and flour leads to an unhealthy influx of insulin, lowering your immune system for a good few hours, if not more. Vegetable oils are mostly Omega 6. An excess in this fatty acid is highly inflammatory, not to mention most vegetable oils on store shelves are rancid, due to the light and heat that easily oxidize most oils.
By choosing whole foods and stable fats, like coconut oil, you are allowing your body to carry on doing important things, like;
- toxin removal
- self healing
- muscle building
- proper digestion
Check out these awesome whole food recipes at http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/
This is a great one for kids http://www.superhealthykids.com/healthy-kids-recipes.php
How else does what we eat affect our bodies? Read more here…..
3. Drink More H2O
Did you know by the time you feel thirsty you are already considered dehydrated?
Your body depends on water to flush out toxins, keep things moving internally, and keep your cells healthy and active, all things that lead to a healthy immune system. We all do things on a daily basis that lead to an even more dehydrated body, number one being drinking caffeine. As long as you are replacing the water lost through the diuretic affect of this substance it is absolutely fine to have a cup or two. Sadly, most of us are considered mildly dehydrated, a loss of 1.5% of our normal water volume, and think that feeling the symptoms of this is how they should normally feel!
Studies have shown that even mild dehydration can lead to;
- negative mood changes
- lowered energy level
- poor ability to think clearly-brain fogginess (concentration, learning, memory)
- headaches, fatigue and anxiety
Experts suggest drinking 2 liters of water a day to keep proper hydration levels, which can lead to a happier and healthier, whole new you!
- Find plain water boring? Here are some awesome recipes to enhance your water drinking experience- from 52 kitchen adventures
4. Increase Your Muscle Mass
This really is a no brainer. Increasing muscle mass will not only contribute to the obvious, such as weight loss, increased strength and increased metabolism, it also has not so obvious benefits too!
- increased immune system
- better posture
- decrease instances of arthritis, diabetes and back pain
- increased bone density, helping to deter fractures
- increased overall energy
5. Choose Positivity!
You may have heard that changing your attitude can change your life. The good news is that it is absolutely true! All you need is an agreement with yourself that you will from now on choose to think differently. Increasing your positive thoughts and decreasing your negative ones will ultimately redirect your life to a happier, more content, and more successful one. It’s that simple. It may take a few weeks for this habit to feel natural, but the effort you put in now will positively impact you for the rest of your life!
Here are 3 easy ways to accomplish this life changing attitude;
- Smile, especially when you don’t feel like it!-This tricks your brain into thinking it’s happy, even when you don’t feel it
- Use positive words and phrases-Your mind will slowly do this automatically after a few weeks
- Take deep breaths throughout the day to recharge your positivity-This will bring you back to focusing on your new life changing habit, resulting in success!
Read more about adopting a positive attitude here…, at Tiny Buddha.
6. Use Clean Products
Because our skin is our largest organ, did you know what goes ON our skin ends up IN our bodies? Did you also know that your skin and lungs absorb more toxins than your digestive system? Yah, nasty right? While eating Organic is a great way to reduce some of your day to day toxic contact, choosing clean ingredients for your skin is a wise choice as well. Skin care, toothpaste and hair products can be full of chemicals and toxic ingredients, things you should definitely try to avoid when possible.
Things you can do to reduce your toxic intake are:
- choose clean ingredients when it comes to skin and hair care, toothpaste and perfumes; there are so many natural substitutions, the choices are endless!
- use vinegar or citrus oil instead of big brand cleaning supplies; tryTKO or make your own here… at Fountain Avenue Kitchen
- choose unscented chemical free dryer sheets, or make your own like the ones here… at Savvy Sugar
There are so many wonderful, clean products to choose from now, just be wary of“GREEN WASHING”, and make an educated decision!
7. Reduce Stress
If you only choose one of these 8 things, this should be it. Stress has been linked to numerous diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, inflammatory diseases, high blood pressure, depression and so many more preventable issues our society has been plagued with. By simply being conscious of your reaction to a stressful situation and keeping calm before you react otherwise, you will no doubt be on your way to a much healthier you.
Deep breaths, sporting a smile, taking a walk outside, or simply choosing to be relaxed in that stressful moment, will have a profound effect on your personality, your body, your mind, and most importantly, your health. Stress is one of the causes of chronic inflammation, where some inflammation is a good thing, chronic inflammation is a sign your immune system is overreacting and burning itself out.
Here are a list of things that will respond to your new relaxed, non stressed state:
- Your skin will be the first indication that your body is on the mend; acne, excema, dull, dry and blotchy skin will look revitalized, and may clear up completely
- You will have more energy, mentally and physically
- Pain will be greatly reduced, due to a huge decrease in inflammation
- Your digestive problems will resolve; bloating, gas, heartburn and more serious problems have been eliminated due to stress reduction
When you are in a stressed state, your body is in fight mode, meaning all other necessary functions are on hold until the “threat” is over. Your mind and body will thank you when you CHOOSE to keep calm, and put a smile on your face instead.
Read more about the dangers of stress here…… at Scientific American
8. Use Coconut Oil
This stuff is truly amazing. Coconut Oil has a strong following of people, including myself, who swear by its numerous health benefits inside, and out. Coconut Oil has antimicrobial properties, meaning it’s anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal, due to its fatty acid makeup. Lauric, Capric, and Caprylic acid are to thank for this oil’s natural healing properties, people around the globe are using coconut oil, and seeing results, for many health issues such as:
- skin and hair care- used to combat acne, excema, fine lines, athletes foot, dandruff and so much more
- recent studies have linked coconut oil to reversing Alzheimer’s, check it out here…
- when taken internally, it has helped many with candida, Crohn’s disease, IBS, thyroid problems, diabetes, and shedding excess pounds
This stuff absolutely works, try it!
I hope you are inspired to try at least 1 of these 8 simple ways to a healthier you!
Remember, Choose health, Achieve anything.
#choosehealthachieveanything #healthybynature #coconutoilworks #coconutoilskincare